The 150 members of IAM Local Lodge 3011 ratified a new collective agreement with their employer. There were many improvements and additions to the contract.
- The new contract provides for an increase in vacation days, improvement in bereavement leave language and new language with respect to leave for spiritual or religious beliefs, indigenous, First Nations, Métis or Inuit cultural practices. Improved language with respect to education leave and conference attendance.
- Remote work was also addressed through a Memorandum of Agreement.
- The members now have the National Day for Truth and Reconciliation and Family Day as paid holidays.
- The two sides agreed on creating a joint Pay Equity Committee as per the Ontario Pay Equity Act.
- A joint union-management committee was struck to consider pay rates as well as re-opening the contract to accommodate any changes needing to be implemented.
- A working group, composed of two representatives from each of the Unions and Management, will be established to review the existing benefits plan, including: A post-retirement benefits plan and improved mental health benefits
The bargaining team would like to thank everyone who provided support in achieving this tentative agreement:
The IAM Canada staff, in particular Neil Giroux and Ralph Martin, members of our mobilization and strike committees and Local Lodge 3011 Executive, all volunteers and our colleagues in IAM Local Lodge 907 (PIREC). And last but certainly not least, the membership of Local Lodge 3011, who stood united and ready to go on strike to demand better wages, benefits and working conditions from our Employer.
In many respects this is a transitional agreement, which achieves significant and timely wage increases across the membership, while committing the Employer to engage in further collaboration with the Union to address legacy issues, including pay equity, the pay band structure, health and welfare benefits, mental health, post-retirement benefits and pensions.
For more information:
Neil Giroux, Grand Lodge Representative